1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Male Pheasant for flock protection?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by justmekayce, Jun 14, 2011.

1. justmekayce

justmekayce New Egg

Jun 14, 2011
    We have a neighborhood cat that keeps getting my young hens. [​IMG] (less than 18 weeks) We house them fairly secure. No other cat but this one has even looked at them. My question is, I was told in the past that a male pheasant makes a fairly good guardian. Has anyone has success with this? I rally do not want to get a rooster because of the noise. (we are already pushing it with the goats and chickens) I was told that the pheasants are fairly quiet and stay close to where they feel safe, secure and have food. Thanks a bunch ya'all. Have a great day! [​IMG]

2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

What kind of pheasant? Ringneck or ornamental? I think a male goose would do a better job honestly.

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I think a goose or turkey would more likely repel a cat than a pheasant. I've never had a goose or a pheasant, but not even my neighbor's dogs are brave enough to go after my turkey.

4. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    The chickens could make the pheasant sick, there is a disease called coryza and a lot of chickens carry it. I would get a dog...

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Pheasants will not stay unless they are securely penned. If you pen will hold a pheasant, it should easily keep a cat out.

If it is a smallish pen, a nice adult gander will teach that cat a lesson. The gander will not defend chickens. But if the cat gets into the gander's personal space, the cat is going to receive a scare.

If your housing is "fairly" secure, it shouldn't be difficult to finish it and make it "secure". Apparently "fairly secure" is not sufficient.

6. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I was going to suggest turkey but since he said he doesnt want something that didnt make a loud noise I would have suggested it. A male turkey is always my first suggestion but in this situation I would pick a male goose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by