Male pigeon bringing back feral girl friend???

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by cochinGurl, Jun 5, 2011.

1. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    Hi everyone, thanks for clicking on my post. I have two male pigeons. the person i got them from mistakenly said they were a pair, (they were very young at the time.) so now its spring/summer and they have no girl pigeons around. needless to say, this fact is of great annoience! lol anyway, Lucky, the domanant bird in their 2 bird flock, and lately he has been going on "adventures". They both leave, and Dale (the other pigeon) comes back after a few hours, but lucky stays out longer, like, over night. this time however, he has been out for two nights, and its looking like a 3rd. Is it possible that he found a female, and is trying to woo her and bring her back to our place? or maybe he wants to stay there with her now? my question is has anyone ever this happen?
    thanks everyone so much, -cochingurl
    ps. i live on an island about a mile from the mainland. could that have any effect? maybe the water confuses him?

2. pheasantfreak

pheasantfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Preston, idaho
    i have diffrent pigeons coming and going all the time i dont think the water would bother him

3. Towman72gmc

Towman72gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Pigeons don't like to fly over water. I've seen homers fly around a cove rather than across the water to get to their loft. Your missing bird may have gone feral, or been lost to a predator. He may come back since he knows that your a food source.

4. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    ok, thanks everyone, i hope he hasn't gone feral. also, how long do you think I should wait for him? his friend is getting realy lonely, hes been gone 3 days. [​IMG] hes so sweet, friendliest pigeon ive ever met! he was hand raised and always comes to land on your head or sholder when you go outside! [​IMG] again thanks everyone for your info.
    -cochingurl

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  5. Towman72gmc

Towman72gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd say get the remaining bird a hen. He'll be less likely to leave if he has a mate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by