Male quail being a bully

Abpoultry

Chirping
Apr 4, 2021
Hello, I am new here! I keep quails and
Chickens. I've been keeping chickens for years but quails for a year. All has been fine with my quails until the cockerals decided that one of my females wasn't welcome in the group of 4, he started pecking her and she was bleeding quite alot. At the moment we've separated him but he can still see them, but I don't know what to do next? Can anyone help x

Just give her time to heal. What's your set up? Cages or ground pens?
She's been healing for quite awhile now and is better completely, but it's the cockerals I'm worried about, he really hates not mating and goes crazy in his closed in area ( he has eneogh space) my friend says he could hurt himself because he's ramming himself against the bars. We're trying to get rid of him but I don't have it in me to kill him and nobody wants him

She's been healing for quite awhile now and is better completely, but it's the cockerals I'm worried about, he really hates not mating and goes crazy in his closed in area ( he has eneogh space) my friend says he could hurt himself because he's ramming himself against the bars. We're trying to get rid of him but I don't have it in me to kill him and nobody wants him
Move him somewhere away from the others so he can calm down. There's no sense in keeping him near if your not reintegrating them, and it's just causing stress for him. You say bars, are you using cages? Is he in a partitioned area of the same cage? Bringing him indoors (so it's cooler) and covering him up for awhile can help him calm down. You can try to reintroduce after a few days of isolation, and do it after dusk. Quail are very light sensitive, if there's light (light from a streetlight) on all night it can mess with them as well.

All that said, I wouldn't keep him personally, I don't breed birds with any hint of aggressive behavior.

Move him somewhere away from the others so he can calm down. There's no sense in keeping him near if your not reintegrating them, and it's just causing stress for him. You say bars, are you using cages? Is he in a partitioned area of the same cage? Bringing him indoors (so it's cooler) and covering him up for awhile can help him calm down. You can try to reintroduce after a few days of isolation, and do it after dusk. Quail are very light sensitive, if there's light (light from a streetlight) on all night it can mess with them as well.

All that said, I wouldn't keep him personally, I don't breed birds with any hint of aggressive behavior.
Thx I'll try that again doing what u said but I've already tried seperating him completely for about a week and after an hour she was bleeding again and cowering in a corner

Thx I'll try that again doing what u said but I've already tried seperating him completely for about a week and after an hour she was bleeding again and cowering in a corner
They've got plenty of space so it's not because he's stressed (But I'm stressed)

I live in England so it's cooler outside, do u think I should just get rid of him since nothing is working. Any suggestions on how to

I live in England so it's cooler outside, do u think I should just get rid of him since nothing is working. Any suggestions on how to
Yeah, you've put in effort. Time to figure what you're comfortable doing. I would process him, if you're not ready for that maybe a friend or family member can help?

Back
Top Bottom