male quail scalped and missing an eye

Discussion in 'Quail' started by samsrib, Nov 21, 2010.

1. samsrib

samsrib Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    tonight I discovered one of our male quail has been scalped and has an eye missing. I do have several males altoghether in a pen with about 20 females. I am suspecting one of two things.

1. other males pulled his feathers out and pecked him until it is just scalp. Skull with a thin layer of meat over it. Also one eye has been pecked out or else it is just caked and crusted shut.
    or
    2. a raccoon got ahold of him through the wire cage and that is all the damage he could do.

I put blu-kote on the wound and put him in a pen with one hen so he isnt alone.
    my question is, if he heals, assuming he will only be able to see out of the one eye he has left, will he mate, if we put several hens in his pen with him? Or would it be better to just kill him ourselves and butcher him for the Traeger?

any words of wisdom? thanks for your time.
    Paige

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It was probably injured by another quail, how many males are in the pen? These are coturnix? Not really much you can do besides separate the bird, but luckily coturnix are fast healers.

If he doesn't die from his injuries (doubtful) he will be good as new once he heals up.

3. Hooligan Farm

Hooligan Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    Quote:I have a hen thats the same way. I was wondering the same thing, Should I put her in the freezer camp

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    In Most Cases They Heal And Continue To Do What Quail Do With Little Or No Difficulty

Bluecote And Issolation Are The Treatments Of Choice

Do Not Discount Quails Majical Healing Abilities-- Give Them A Chance And They Will More Than Likely Bounce Back From It

Bird Agression Vs Predator? Depends Alot On The Birds- What Type Of Quail? Also If I EVen Had An Inkling In The Back Of Mind That Perhaps A Predator Such As A Raccoon Did This I Would Be Bomb-proofing That Pen Right Now. If Predators Have Inflicted This Damage They Will Be Back, And Sooner Rather Than Later.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by