male quail scalped and missing an eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by samsrib, Nov 21, 2010.

1. samsrib

samsrib Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    tonight I discovered one of our male quail has been scalped and has an eye missing. I do have several males altoghether in a pen with about 20 females. I am suspecting one of two things.

1. other males pulled his feathers out and pecked him until it is just scalp. Skull with a thin layer of meat over it. Also one eye has been pecked out or else it is just caked and crusted shut.
    or
    2. a raccoon got ahold of him through the wire cage and that is all the damage he could do.

I put blu-kote on the wound and put him in a pen with one hen so he isnt alone.
    my question is, if he heals, assuming he will only be able to see out of the one eye he has left, will he mate, if we put several hens in his pen with him? Or would it be better to just kill him ourselves and butcher him for the Traeger?

any words of wisdom? thanks for your time.
    Paige

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    One-eyed roos are not unusual. If he survives the injury he should be fine. They can adapt to an injury like that with relative ease. I'd give him a chance. You can always cull down the road if he isn't able to perform his duties.

Good luck.

3. Hawsegal

Hawsegal Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Quote:My one male who had the same done to him by his hens healed well with isolation and heavy layers of neosporin. Granted he was rather bald after healing, he went right back to his duties...I'm pretty sure that if they can find the female they will find a way, I know mine did.

4. chickwatcher1

chickwatcher1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2014
    I've had 8 quail hens and two males in a cage since last year. Now the two males are scalped.what's going on??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by