1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Male? Really?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by suewtsn, Oct 23, 2014.

1. suewtsn

suewtsn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Strathmore, Alberta
    He/She is huge and started crowing, but doesn't have the spurs at 5 months. Looks like saddle feathers too. Is that normal for a rooster - not to have spurs. All my other boys have them....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Frizzlett98

Frizzlett98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    Being a young rooster, he hasn't grown his spurs yet. This is definitely a rooster though.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  3. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    Some roosters don't start to get their spurs until they are closer to a year old. My boys (various breeds) are around 7 months old and are just starting to get them. Yours is definitely all boy.

I love the photo with the cat! I have 2 cats that love to hang out with my chickens while they free range. They can be great little livestock guardians. :)

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, that is a rooster.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Roosters mature at different rates. Some start getting them earlier, and others wait for months. And, some never get them. I have several cockerels, all of the same age, and their spurs are all different lengths.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on that.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Rooster. The spurs will come, but the saddle feathers, comb, coloring and gawky, leggy look tell the tale now.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Pretty rooster!

9. suewtsn

suewtsn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Strathmore, Alberta
    Thanks. Yes over the last two weeks, he has taken over (albeit, nicely) the flock. He is like either of his suspected dads in this respect. (He is either Americana or Anacona and mum a BR.) He spends all day on patrol outside the coop while the others are inside staying warm. He is a massive bird and turning out to be quite beautiful. I would even considering showing him if I had the first clue what that entailed. :)
    I never thought I would be so involved in chickens! Lol. Had you told me I would be talking like this two years ago, I would have laughed.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by