Male Rouen odd duck in flock

alibond

Chirping
13 Years
May 26, 2008
I have 6 pekins (3 drakes, 3 hens) and one lone drake Rouen. It looks like the Rouen has been ousted from the flock. Tonight he went to bed in the run with the chickens rather than the ducks. I notice the male pekins pick on him in the pool and chase him a lot. I'm wondering if the pekins have all paired and he's the odd man out.

Can I get him a mate and how do I introduce her to him and "them" (if this works) to the flock. I feel so bad for him.

I have 6 pekins (3 drakes, 3 hens) and one lone drake Rouen. It looks like the Rouen has been ousted from the flock. Tonight he went to bed in the run with the chickens rather than the ducks. I notice the male pekins pick on him in the pool and chase him a lot. I'm wondering if the pekins have all paired and he's the odd man out.
Can I get him a mate and how do I introduce her to him and "them" (if this works) to the flock. I feel so bad for him.
Probably the only way it would work is if you had a pen just for them 2, and watch him around your chicken hens he may try to mate with them which most likely will end in death for your hens. You could try getting him a duck then give them time to bond before introducing them to the rest of the flock but still give them their own separate quaters. I have 2 adult drakes and they each have their own girls and they know who belongs to who, but that doesn't keep our youngest drake from going after the other drakes girls, But they do manage to live in a fair amount of peace. you'll just have to see how it goes. And
welcome-byc.gif
ps you may want to get more ducks so your girls won't be over mated by 2 zealous Pekins drakes. which happens alot. maybe 3 ducks for the pekins apiece and 2 ducks for your Rouen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom