Male Silkies?!? I think...what to do???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newtochick, Aug 17, 2010.

1. newtochick

newtochick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Portland, Or.
    Hi everyone,
    I have 3 silkies that I hatched and have raised, they are all sweet and very gentle, and currently quiet. The problem is I am also pretty sure they are all roo's! I am not allowed roosters and I am very torn about losing these guys. How loud do Silkies get, I have heard they are quieter then most. If they are roo's and I have to give them up does anyone know of someone is Oregon or SW Washington that would give them a good home, I don't want them to be meat birds obviously! I am about 99% sure 2 of the 3 are roo's they are constantly challenging each other and gently fighting, but they leave the 3rd alone and never fight with that one. Could the 3rd one be a pullet and just not have a big comb yet? I am torn because I love all 3 but know I can't keep them if they are boys and really want a good place for them. Any help would be appreciated!
    Beckie

2. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    I have three bantam roos and my Silkie is the last to crow in the morning and does not crow too loud and doesn't crow all day like some other breeds. [​IMG]

If I didn't have three roos, I would love to have your Silkie roos since I live in your state, but three is enough. Do you have any pics of them?[​IMG]

Make them house pets, my Silkie roo is.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  3. Sweet Violet

Sweet Violet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Vista CA
    How old are they???? I'd keep them until they either laid an egg or crowed. I have 2 14 week old silkies that I think on some days are roos and then the next day I think they are pullets. I'm keeping them until....

4. SilkiesAndSuch

SilkiesAndSuch Silkie Daddy

Jan 27, 2010
    Mayo
    Sorry, but my silkie roosters love to get into crowing contests. They aren't as loud as my Brahma roosters, but I can hear them from the house when I am outside and their run in about 50 yards away. However, I think some silkies are quieter than others so maybe you will end up with quiet crowers? [​IMG] Good luck [​IMG]

5. newtochick

May 23, 2010
    Portland, Or.
    My silkies are about 5 mths old, I have been waiting and hoping that they may be females, but the older they get the more convinced I am that at least the 2 are male. They are so quiet still that it is hard to image them getting loud! They make the sweetest cooing noises at me! I will try to post some pics soon, my pics are too big and I have not figured out how to make them to the size the site will allow. I wonder about the last one (gray splash I think her color is called) because it never fights the other 2 and backs down to all the other pullets...could that one be a female even though she has like little to no comb?!? I have my fingers crossed! I am scared to wake up one day and have all of them crowing and have to get rid of all 3, it will break my heart!

6. newtochick

May 23, 2010
    Portland, Or.
    Ok here are some pictures...hopefully they turn out! The gray one at the top is the one I still hold out hope for...and please excuse their messy feathers, they just finished some watermelon treats!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. sleepy

sleepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Palmdale,Ca
    #1 pullet
    #2-3 are roosters

8. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Personally, my husband does not even think that my silkie crow....they do, but I guess they do not do it that often for him to notice. If there is more than one then only one might crow , but if you have no girls present they might not at all.

But anyway, if they are 5 months old, (they look pet quality) I would think that the roos wattles would be a great deal bigger than they are now seeing they are kinda non bearded. Personally, I would not say they are roos for sure, I think that they could still be hens.

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I'm not saying they are NOT roosters, but none of them look like my rooster. He stands up tall like a rooster. I think it might be too soon for you to worry about it.
    Try to enjoy them now.

[​IMG]

10. newtochick

May 23, 2010
    Portland, Or.
    Typically the black and white ones stand very tall and straight, they are positioned like that because I had mealworms for them on the ground and in my other hand to get the pics taken. They also just fought each other for like 5 min with their feathers all puffed out, I had never watched them fight like that before lol, it seemed to be darned close to a draw!

I am relieved that you guys think the gray one is a pullet, I hope so!!! When should I know for sure on the others, I know when they start crowing, but shouldn't they start soon? Also does anyone know when their feathers on top will grow a bit more?

Thanks so much for all the responses!!! You guys are awesome!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by