Male Silver Pheasant with clipped wings

bdfive

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 11, 2010
South of Blanco, TX
Someone just gave me their 2 year old male Silver pheasant. They've kept his wings clipped so they could let it walk around the yard with their chickens and not fly away. Will he have to molt those cut wing feathers in order for new to grow back. Will that take a year?

Another question. I have 2 male 2013 hatch Red Golden pheasant....no females and don't intend to get any. Will my 2 Red Golden eventually fight? What are the chances I can put the Silver pheasant in with the 2 male Red Golden and the 3 of them not fight? The pen is 8' wide, 28' long and 9' high with lots of cedar log roosts. 12' of it has a roof and walls with the one end open. I also have 9 White Bobwhite quail in there.

I've had peafowl for 7 years. Pheasant and quail are new to me ...... don't intend to breed them....just enjoy their beauty. Thanks much!!!

Why would someone clip pheasants wing so it couldn't fly?Flight is their only defense,I am surprised some predator didn't grab him.They should grow in with the next molt,unless they cut the nerve.
As long as there are no hens around all 3 birds should be fine together in a pen that size.Don't be surprised if the quail start trouble.
In N.H.,Tony.

Thanks Tony for the reply. It was becoming embarrising, 45 views with not one reply, LOL!!

I think the owners lived in the city and the pheasant was let out to roam in the back yard while they were attending it. Probably due to a small cage it stayed in while they were at work. I doubt it was kept where a predator could get to it. This couple loves this pheasant and other birds they have. The wings are clipped pretty short.....I hope they grow back. He easily jumps from perch to perch until his up high and my pens are predator proof so he's safe here. I feel blessed to have gotten him free....he's quite the looker. I'm concerned with his spurs....he much larger then the Red Golden and certainly could kill one of those little quail. I'm intending on working out on those pens one day when it's going to be cool and will open the door between them so they can go in each others pens. Will watch behavior and make a decision. Would the presence of other species birds trigger the male thing with the pheasants? There are female peafowl in adjacent pens and hopefully I have some female quail but still no eggs. LOL, will be pretty funny if all 9 are male. Appreciate all you input.

I don't think you will have to worry about the pheasants bothering the quail. It will probably be the other way around. I've tried putting Gambels with Goldens and the little rascals drive the pheasants nuts. Keep a close eye on your Silver rooster. Silvers are very aggressive and can do a lot of damage to Red Goldens. If your males grew up and were raised together they will probably be alright for awhile but I've never had much luck putting grown males together. Sooner or later you will have mocho trouble.

I don't think you will have to worry about the pheasants bothering the quail. It will probably be the other way around. I've tried putting Gambels with Goldens and the little rascals drive the pheasants nuts. Keep a close eye on your Silver rooster. Silvers are very aggressive and can do a lot of damage to Red Goldens. If your males grew up and were raised together they will probably be alright for awhile but I've never had much luck putting grown males together. Sooner or later you will have mocho trouble.

The 2 male Red Golden are doing ok with the White quail so far. It's hard to believe all 9 of my quail are male but I've not found one egg. I love hearing their call and it's louder then I would have thought. I'm super apprehensive to introduce the Silver to the same pen with all I've read. HOW DO YOU THINK IT WOULD DO IN A LARGE AVIARY WITH PEAFOWL? Going back to the Red Golden.....guess I should be prepared to give one up or it too could be housed with peafowl. I don't like the any violence so will do what I have to do. These birds are a hobby. I want to mellow and enjoy....not be a referee treating bloody heads and digging burial holes.

I think your Silver will do good with your Peas, but sooner or later you'll have to get him away from all other male pheasants. I think your quail will get along ok with them too. With pheasants its always best to have them housed by breed with just one male and 1-6 hens. That cuts out all the headaches and dirty work.

Back
Top Bottom