Male to female hatch rate

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Sethc, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Sethc

Sethc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2013
    I'm going to hatch about sixty bobwhites and I wanted to know what the usual male to female ratio is when they hatch. I understand there is the know way to know exactly what the ratio is but I was wondering what a common rate is. Thanks

2. chrishw

chrishw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    Lots of factors... a degree cool or warm can change it... the scientist in me says almost 50/50 but it always seems like its 80/20 opposite of what your wishing for!

1 person likes this.
  3. Chicken-Farmer

Chicken-Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    With coturnix we always seem to have more males than females after the hatch. Don't really know the reason why, but they all taste the same to me! We segregate off the excess males after about 4 weeks and move them to a grow out pen. We keep them around until they start making too much racket calling for the girls at usually seven weeks.

4. veggiecanner

veggiecanner Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    For us every hatch is different, but out of 56 raised I just culled 33 males, and there is at least 3 left to go.
    The hatch before that was 50-50 males and females.

5. QuailRaiser

QuailRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Last hatch i had 11 females and 9 males

6. Reedgirl20

Reedgirl20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2012
    Eagle point, Oregon
    I've hatched probably 500+ chicks this year that I have kept long enough to sex before selling or butchering and over the long run its 50:50. Once in awhile you will have more or less males but seems to balance out eventually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by