male to female ratio: my girls are getting bald necks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Flock Runner, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    i have a couple of ducks in my brood. i started out with seven(4 boys, 3 girls) then my friend had to give me her last two which were both males. now i have 2 males for every 1 female and my girls are all going bald on their backs and the backs of their necks. i don't have the heart to cull any of them any even if i did, how would i choose which ones to get rid of? i'd rather find them new homes but i would still have the same problem. if i were to get more girls how many would i need? what's a good female to male ratio?

2. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I was told 3 to 1 minimum when I got my ducks at year ago (got straight run - ended up with 3 drakes and one duck). I didn't listen.[​IMG] Got two more ducks. Now have 1:1 ratio. It is not close to being enough. I only have room for one more duck in their house, so more ducks is not an option. But culling my drakes isn't either. The drakes are in separate house and run for spring/summer or ducks will end up dead. (Last year they were so young it was only awful for Aug/Sept). Good luck!

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would get the boys in their own separate clubhouse for now.

If you have room, keeping them 50 feet away from the ducks (females) may cool everything down. But I agree, you need to have at least 3 ducks per drake, and some have found 6 to one (females to males) works best.

To rehome, perhaps you can point out that drakes are quiet, make fine fertilizer, eat pests and weeds.

4. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    I keep a "drake pen" for the spring/summer months. Otherwise the girls are not only bald, they go lame and it's possible to lose the girls, either from lameness or being drowned by too many boys competing for breeding rights in the swimming pool. I'm about to separate out some ducks any day now, just figuring out how to do it, because I am using my drake pen for a breeding pen atm. Maybe I'll just fire up the incubator, put the eggs in and let the breeding ducks go run with the rest. :) Either that, or get out some temporary fencing and partition a large pen.

You will need to do something to protect your girls. The drakes actually settle down pretty well, mine get along fine in their "boys club" for the summer.

5. Flock Runner

Nov 27, 2011
    i wish i could but i don't have a spot where i could put them. otherwise i would.

6. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

If dinner is not an option, getting 16 more ducks is out, and separate quarters are not available, you have 3 remaining choices: find new homes for 5 drakes, find new homes for 3 ducks, or prepare yourself for dead ducks [​IMG].

Best wishes on finding a solution for your flock.

7. Flock Runner

Nov 27, 2011
    well i am going to get more ducks, it just won't be 15. i'm hoping getting 10 will at least lessen the problem. i already have them picked out.

2 black swedish
    2 Welsh Harlequin Ducks
    3 buff
    3 white crested
    it will be a colorful variety!! plus, i know who the major problem drake is so he'll probably find a new home.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by