male to female ratio questions and help picking a breed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by marvun22, Mar 2, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    i've posted a lot of threads about this before. another one of my male ducks died. to replace the 2 males ive lost im going to order 2 more females. i now have 3 mallard/pekin cross 2 female, 1 male. i am now ordering 1 pair (1 male and 1 female) of buff orpington ducks, 1 pair of khaki campbells, 1 pair of rouen ducks, 4 female pekins, 2 cayuga females. i also was going to order 2 females of a different breed. that would make 12 females and 4 males. first the 1:3 ratio is safe right. and what should my last breed that im getting 2 females of be. and if i coudnt get 2 females of another breed would my 4:10 male to female ratio be okay.

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    IME, it isn't just the number of males to females that matters, it's how the ducks associate with each other. When I had free-ranging ducks, they tended to hang out in groups. While sometimes it was obvious - ducks that were raised together tended to hang out together, for example - at other times, what caused certain ducks to hang out together wasn't all that clear. If you wind up with two males that associate with only one female, she may show some damage. If for some reason 2 or 3 males tend to hang together, they may wind up mobbing any female that allows herself to get separated from her friends - not pretty![​IMG]

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    4:10 is NOT a good ratio. 2:10 would be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by