Male to Female ratio?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by SassyKat6181, Oct 4, 2011.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I have an even split in my 10 Guineas.....5 girls, 5 boys. Will they all get along well? They do okay now....a little rowdiness when I let them out in the morning, nothing serious. A little fluffing and charging, but it only lasts a few minutes. They seem happy and stick together really well. They are about 6 months old and have been raised together since day olds.

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    That's actually perfect! The males settle down with one female after a few weeks into the breeding season!! [​IMG]

3. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    They should do fine, but expect to see more aggression, feather pulling and chasing come next spring. They don't always pair up tho, one of the males may choose to "claim" more than one Hen, (it's common in my flocks to see a trio and a tag along that gets chased off if he gets to close). And sometimes my birds switch mates 2-3 times a season. Might be because I collect their eggs and never let them hatch any out, or it might just be typical Guinea breeding season behavior [​IMG] I've seen it a lot here tho thru the years.

4. livenwpeeps

livenwpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    King William
    I'm with PeepsCa. Some of my guineas will switch mates and I also have the one hen "Speedy" that has two guys that follow her around like two puppy dogs. They just adore her. She's a pearl but the two guys are lavenders. They are the last of my original flock so that might be why they stuck together. Yes, in spring, you will see more chasing and feather pulling.

5. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Speaking of aggression, feather pulling and chasing... since the Hens have all stopped laying and everybody has molted here, the birds are all hanging/wandering around together in tight groups now (within their individual flocks - I have 3 separate flocks), and other than an occasional squabble at feeding/treat time, the aggression has pretty much come to a standstill... so for those that have difficult bully males they are just about fed up with, maybe there's still some hope for them not to end up in freezer camp or a hot crock jacuzzi, lol [​IMG]

ETA...
    I am missin' the fresh eggs already tho, guess I'll need to find a few chicken Hens that will lay eggs for me after the Guineas quit for the season [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  6. ericwaddle3

ericwaddle3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    I intend on keeping two males and five hens next year as breeders from the ones I raised this year. Just want a small flock of different colors. I'm assuming this ratio will work out well?

7. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Quote:When do they generally stop laying? We are 60's during the day 40-50 at night and I'm still getting 5 out of 5 a day [​IMG] On top of 9 duck eggs, and 24 chicken eggs....I'm overrun with not enough buyers!

8. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Usually they start tapering off when the weather cools down and the daylight hours decrease, and mine completely stop when they molt. (If you have a light on in their coop each night, I'd start shutting that off when everybody is in and cooped up, light at night can extend the laying season).

ETA...
    Guinea eggs can be stored for a pretty long time in the fridge... for several months easily, (especially clean, unwashed eggs with the bloom/cuticle still on them). It might be worth it for you to get an extra fridge if you don't already have one, and store the eggs for future use when eggs from your Chickens and ducks withers down (if it ever does, lol). You can also scramble them up, freeze them in icecube trays and save for baking and cooking later on as well. You can even pickle and can hard boiled eggs fairly easily, (If you are a fan of them, I'm not, ick!). Guinea eggs are considered a delicacy by many, so you might go around to your local (gourmet) delis and see if they are interested in buying any too.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  9. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Quote:Yes that should work out fine for you. (One male should be able to cover all 5 Hens too, but the 2 to 5 ratio will better ensure egg fertility).

10. BAMACK2

BAMACK2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Spring Lake NC
    how about my 4 to 7 males to females ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by