male to female ratio

HopeK

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 5, 2013
Neebing, Ontario
hello all,
I am pretty new to chickens (been doing it for about 1 year) and brand new to guinea fowl (this spring) and BYC (today!). I currently have 8 guinea fowl ( 2 have disapppeared on me) and 47 chickens. Of course the 2 guineas that are now missing were females. I only had 3 females to start and am now down to 7 males and 1 female. I am thinking that this is too many males to females? What is the recommended ratio?

thanks
Hope

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! We've had guineas in the past, and unless you have a net over their enclosure, or have clipped one wing, they will fly away. We are currently placing a net over a large yard, and hope to have guineas again. Good luck, hope you are able to keep your remaining birds, KanaKukkula

I don't think you need to keep them penned in order for them not to fly away. You must start by keeping them inside their "home" for at least 6 weeks - longer preferably - in order for them to know where they live and come home to at night. Yes, I think you're going to have a lot of problems with that ratio of males/females. I think you better consider either getting a couple more females, or the other alternative is to find a new home for the female. If she's not around, they will not be fighting for her attention. On the other hand, if you have that many hens and the male guineas have access to them, they might start trying to mate with your chickens. I have always heard that in order for a flock of guineas to be happy, there needs to be at least 10 - so maybe adding some females to the family would be the best solution. Good luck!!

It sounds like your hens have set a nest somewhere, they may have been killed in the night by a predator by now if they are not coming home for food. You have to pen free rangers at night during mating season for this reason. Keep them in untill they have laid their daily egg, then let them out for the day. If you do not establish a call they will come to and train them to come you have lost the battle.
The ratio is good if you have 4-5 hens per cock.

I have 9 guineas now - 4 females & 5 males (as well as some chickens). I have had more females than males and I really don't think that it makes any difference. They pair up and the ones that aren't paired hang out together or hang out with a pair. I have often thought that it would be nice to not have ANY females because it is such a pain to have to try to find them when they decide to sit on a nest. But so far haven't had this happen. Good luck with your guineas. You will enjoy them!

We try to keep them 1:1. As guinea hens die off in the summer, the boys gather up and prowl around looking to make trouble. They pull out rooster tails (on our chickens) harass the ducks, even will chase the barn cats around. But when they have a lady to focus on, the males are much better behaved.

Back
Top Bottom