Male to female ratios

JamieMcClain

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
I currently have 1 male Muscovy and 1 female plus 2 female geese. A friend needs me to take her 2 mallards which I found out are both males. Is it possible to take these 2 in with my flock or will having 3 male ducks be very dangerous for my female Muscovy? All my birds free range and get locked in coops at night if that helps or hinders.

That will not work, you muscovy will be over mated and have possible serious injuries

none of them are fully grown yet so I don’t think the threat is immediate. More of a problem next year? Should I get some more females to help even things out? My Muscovy male is very bonded to the female so I thought maybe he would protect her?

none of them are fully grown yet so I don’t think the threat is immediate. More of a problem next year? Should I get some more females to help even things out? My Muscovy male is very bonded to the female so I thought maybe he would protect her?
He may be aggresive to the other two males, it just depends on his personality. Also it won't be a problem until the reach maturity. It is recommended to have 3 to 5 females per male, so you either have to get a lot of ducks or build a seperate pen for the two new drakes

Back
Top Bottom