Male turkey cut female turkey?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Imapsychowhoa, May 6, 2011.

1. Imapsychowhoa

Imapsychowhoa Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    A week ago i noticed my female turkey (i think shes a white broad breasted turkey) couldnt walk i put her in a fenced in area and today when i went to check on her and i saw my male bronze had somehow got in the fence was trying to breed with her, i was thinking he got on her and broke her leg last week also.i saw she was covered in blood so I made him get off her and she had a lot of cuts on her back, under her wing and on her stomach. the cut under her wing is very deep.Does anyone have any idea what i can do for her foot and cuts? and do you have any idea why he would cut her like that when he trys to breed with her?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Simple first aid for the cuts, perhaps a mild soapy water solution, or dilute Betadine or peroxide, for cleaning (usually Betadine or peroxide should only be used once.) Then goop them up with Neosporin ointment (generic is fine) every day or two. She will need to be separated and probably indoors while healing if only to avoid flies laying eggs in her wounds. Some people give penicillin, others not; the Neosporin is an antibiotic in itself.

Some males are much rougher on their females when they breed than others. It's not that unusual ro find injury resulting. The male would not survive long on my property.

3. Imapsychowhoa

Imapsychowhoa Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    Thank you i read around looking for other posts and i didnt think anyone would answer so i put her by herself then put bag balm on it this morning then blue kote on it later the cut's still look bad but hopefully she will get better.i will try neosporin tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by