Male Turkey

jimeve

Chirping
Jan 21, 2019
Hi, I have Hen brooding eggs, also There is a Tom which is about 4 years old and is aggressive. Both are in the same enclosure.
When I go to feed them the male keeps attacking me but not pecked me he just runs up to me and when I'm outside the pen he jumps up against the cage with his chest out.
Is this normal?

Hi, I have Hen brooding eggs, also There is a Tom which is about 4 years old and is aggressive. Both are in the same enclosure.
When I go to feed them the male keeps attacking me but not pecked me he just runs up to me and when I'm outside the pen he jumps up against the cage with his chest out.
Is this normal?
It is normal for a tom that has lost his ability to know there is a difference between people and turkeys, thinking he is protecting his hen from you. If the hen is sitting on eggs, I recommend that you separate the tom from her or build an enclosure around her nest with an opening big enough that she can get through but small enough that it prevents the tom from getting to the nest. Toms can mistake the hen sitting on the nest as an invitation to breed. The unwanted breeding attempts can lead to broken eggs, injured hens or in the worst case a severe enough injury that the hen dies.

Back
Top Bottom