1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MALE TURKEYS---

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Devozookrew, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Devozookrew

Devozookrew New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    TEMPE
    HI! Sorry, this is my first day--i just had a question....is this where I ask it?? [​IMG] I have a male turkey, Eddie...he was soooooo sweet and I hand raised him since he was 2 weeks old, he doesn't mind the dogs, the outdoor cats, and lives with 22 chickens/hens. Now that mating season is here, he is pecking, jumped on and is scratching my neighbors corvette--they free range in our front yard in a "normal" Tempe hood...He has never had a problem with people, actually he always greets em and now he seems like he is protecting his territory --- bullying my male neighbor and trying to mount the kids :( So i have resorted to leaving him in a coop all day to reduce angry neighbors, maybe harm to greeters, and its killing me. I let him out 1-2 hours a day with supervised visits---Will this pass and he will "get over it?" Should I re home to an area bigger, where he can truly roam, it wasn't a problem from last march-til now, but he is just a yr old. HELP!! THNXXXXXX

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi, thanks for joining us here on BYC!

I've never raised turkeys but it sounds like Eddie's hormones have kicked in and he needs a mate or two.

Use this link to take you to the Turkey Forum, the experts over there will be able to help you understand how to deal with Eddie:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/20/turkeys

Best of luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by