Male turns out to be female; advice needed.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Loopeend, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Loopeend

Loopeend Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    The Netherlands
    Last year we have given 4 males to someone. 2 wild coloured and 1 trout brothers and 1 white male from other parents. This person wanted males because it was not interested in eggs; They have a big beautifull terrain with a pond and wanted fun animals on it. That worked. They are absolutely in love with them. Unfortunately the trout male got killed by a predatory bird.
    The white male, with tail-curl, male quack and three times sexed; is brooding on eggs though now! 12 eggs.
    They have never seen any other ducks on the terrain; so I guess that this white male just found an abandoned nest and got mother-feelings and starting sitting on them is a bit far-fecthed and it probably is a female in disguise.
    These people haven't removed the eggs because they have 0 knowledge of eggs (they asked today if duck eggs were edible...) and that is also why they wanted maled.
    I'm having an appointment with them to create a sollution because I feel WE made that mistake. We gave them 4 males; while 1 wasn't.
    I'm not yet sure what to advice so I was wondering if you guys would help out.

- They really adore these ducks and are probably not so into trading ducks. They got really attached to the white duck.
    - The ducks are luckely unrelated. The two brothers don't seem to have being excessive fighting/mating the white one, or with each other.
    - They didn't want eggs, and are still not into eggs.

- Should I leave it be since the brothers don't seem to have big fights, no mating-stress seems to occur, and tell them to remove the eggs next year (but with this amount of land; there will be a big chance eggs will be hidden).
    - Trade one of the brothers for another female. (but then rule one applies also)
    - Trade the white female for a male.

They don't want other ducks, they are attached to current ducks, solely because they are incredebilly tame (because we hand-raised them indoor when ducklings), but they will probably never remove eggs, and just create a bunch of ducks and leave them be and inbreeding will occur.
    I'm also wondering if they might easier say goobye to the white duck; when I help raising the new young ducklings, lend them a brooder, they keep two males from it, I take all the other ducklings including their mom back. They then have two new ducks that are as tame towards them as the white female. That might make it easier to say goodbye to her.

Well, this is a bit the situation that I'm not quite 100% sure yet what to advice them when meeting. Every idea is possible to solve this from our side; since we feel responsible for this situation.

casportpony likes this.
  2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I'm trying to understand but I think the one is female that's setting eggs. Possibly an overy issue for the curling tail feathers.

Cayuga momma and Loopeend like this.
  3. Loopeend

Loopeend Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    The Netherlands
    Interesting; I didn't know that could happen due to ovary issues. She had a tiny penis though. We had a hard time to sex her even at 6 months, no clear nothing but not a clear penis too though. There definately was 'something' just not really as big as usual, after a LOT of sexing since it was so vague, so together with the 1 feather-curl, the male quack, we labeled her as male.
    Can this be a problem for the eggs she is sitting on right now? (oooh, note to myself you make me realise now; bring lamp to see if eggs are fertile/alive at meeting). I guess it is probably not geneticly transferable, being intersex or whatever she is, but wondering now if she is not sitting on dead eggs all along. Not sure if capable of laying eggs also means capable of laying fertile eggs in this situation (need to brush up on my duck-inner-sex-organs-system).

casportpony and chickens really like this.
  4. chickens really

Definitely can be intersexed and possibly all eggs are Duds.

Cayuga momma and ChickenCanoe like this.
  5. Loopeend

Loopeend Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    The Netherlands
    Let's immagine she is intersex and all eggs are duds. Does this change anything in the situation. As in; can she be around 2 males more then a 100% female (mating stress and such). I haven't meet them yet, we have gotten loads of pictures/movies of them the last year, but we never visited IRL, but they say 'We have never seen them mate'. They are chicken-breeders so I kinda believe that they would see what a mating would look like. So if they say they haven't seen any mating and or mating-stress going on I tend to believe them. The two brothers are defending her and the nest know though like a proper dad.

6. chickens really

My Pandora has overy issues and gets a Drake feather she Quacks but doesn't lay eggs. It can be caused from trauma, sexually transmitted disease or just happened. She gets along with everyone. She actually was setting eggs till my Hen Poppy stole both nests of eggs.

Cayuga momma likes this.
  7. Loopeend

Loopeend Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    The Netherlands
    Well, her and her sister were 100% traumatised when they arrived here. No doubt. We got them from a terrible breeder and it was clear on day 1 when we got them at 2 weeks old that they were traumatised. They adapted now but it still shows. (we still have her sister). People who adopted stray cats will understand; you never get that 'angst' out of them and it oftens revolves around food. They are allways in a survival mode and keep having trust-issues in some extend. Her sister has some egg-issues too. Not as steady as the rest with the amount of eggs, lays them everywhere in the most unnatural places, does not make nests like the rest, is busy a LOT with asking others to mate with her or asking others to be mated by her, quite aggresive to ducklings (kills them), everything is a bit off from the norm.

8. chickens really

Trauma I mean is being bred buy adult Drakes before ready. That can damage them.

Cayuga momma and Loopeend like this.
  9. Loopeend

Loopeend Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    The Netherlands
    Ah!
    Well. That is possible too. This dude has just thrown a lot of ducks in a communial pond, does not feed them, does not care if they are family, or male wild mallards have access to them, or a healthy male-female ratio, does absolutely nothing except pick up the chicks underneath them once a year and sell them. Who knows if these 2 quite big ducklings were mated by drakes in their first weeks. Due to the living conditions he has created that is not an unlikely scenario. He is still selling ducks and he has more males then females for sure running around that pond.

Added a picture how they arrived. They might even have been older. I'm not sure at what age to place them; I'm just 100% sure they were NOT '2 days old' what he claimed (duh). But at this stage a week more or less does not really show anymore unlike recently born. They began starting having adult feathers 4 days later. My '2 weeks' old is grabbed out of the air, because I don't know their age, but '2 weeks' makes clear they were deffinately not newborns. IMG_4698 - kopie.JPG

10. chickens really

Well terrible situation and hereditary can happen although not my issue here. I'm thinking Casanova got her before she was ready? I never saw it but he is a jerk at times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: