MALE Vs. FEMALE? HELP!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SweetLilRachy00, Nov 9, 2007.

1. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    OK, so my Brahma's (One anyways) has been CROWING! I thought that I had all HENS. That is what was requesting in my order....well....do females crow? We only wanted eggs, not chicks! LOL

HELP!

Forgive my lack of knowledge on the parts of a chicken...

but the red thingy on his head/beek (top) is bigger than the one on the other Brahma that I have. I will take pictures if I need to.

2. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hi there.....Doesn't sound to hopeful if your chicken is crowing! Occasionally a hen will crow when there is no rooster, but that is usually the dominant, top-of-the-pecking-order hen, not a new one that is still young.

Chick sexing is not 100% accurate, more like 90%-95%. So, If you order 10 pullet chicks, you still are likely to get 1 rooster out of the batch.

The comb (red thing on top of head) is larger in cockerels than in pullets, so that also suggests that yours is a roo.

If you post a picture of him/her in the 'what breed/gender is this' section, you'll get some opinions about whether it looks like a rooster.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I got two Lt Brahmas from the feedstore, sexed as pullets by Ideal Poultry. Bess turned out to be Bart so it happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by