Male vs Female -how do u tell??

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by TarHeelBlue, Jul 29, 2011.

1. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    When and how can you tell if you have a male or a female??? Do you have to wait until they grow up?? I just hatched my first peafowl and was wondering if and when I can tell which it is.

2. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    Quote:i am guessing but i think you have to wait till 5 months to 7 months before you know

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    There are some helpful pictures on here. An India Blue will loose the barring on the wings if it is a female. This happens around 4 mos, I think.

4. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Quote:i am guessing but i think you have to wait till 5 months to 7 months before you know

Your avatar cracks me up. [​IMG]

5. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Actually, you should be able to make a reasonably accurate guess around 3 months. If you post pictures, we will be able to identify the genders for you, and tell you what we are looking at to determine the gender.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Yep, post pics. There are folks on here that can just about sex them while they're still in the shell! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Thanks guys!! I will try to post now (only have one little guy - MY FIRST!!!) and then again when it gets older. Right now it is solid yellow.

8. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Oh, if it's indeed solid yellow and the wings are not tan, you will be waiting quite a lot longer to tell what gender it is. If it's not a BS pea (which you'd tell by a vague tan color on the wings), then it's a white and THOSE you won't be able to tell until closer to 2 years. However, if you want to pay the $20 or so up front, you could get it blood sexed at any time before then and know.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  9. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Hmm, this is all so new to me. Learning so much from BYC every day. I got it out from under the red light and it does have tan on the end of it's wings. What does this mean?? This egg was sold to me as a Blue peafowl egg (although I really don't care, since it is my first - it's all learning from here on)
    Any and all help and advice is greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

10. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Well, it technically IS a blue peafowl, all the color variations are India Blue at heart. Yours will most likely be a blackshoulder pattern with blue coloration. This probably means that the person who sold you the eggs either has blackshoulder peas or is unaware that their peas carry the blackshoulder trait.

Here are normal india blues:
    Male
    [​IMG]

Female
    [​IMG]

Here are india blues with blackshoulder pattern:
    Male
    [​IMG]

Female
    [​IMG]

Here's a pair of yearling boys in comparison:
    [​IMG]

If yours are BS, you should again be able to tell by about 3 months. The girls will be more tan colored and the boys will darken up to a more charcoaly grey color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by