Male vs. Female ratio?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littlels, Jan 27, 2012.

1. littlels

littlels Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2011
    I had someone the other day say that chickens hatch about 1 male to every 10 females. I had never heard this before and was wondering if anyone else has or if it is true?

Also, some of you seem to be really good at judging male or female on some pretty young chicks. Are there particular "secrets" you use? I would love any type of insight.

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I wish! Unfortunatally, no, thats not true.

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    1 male to 10 females?? If only it were true! lol It's more like half and half or, in my case, 3 males to 1 female. [​IMG]

As far as secrets, there are some breeds where you can tell very early by head spots and other coloration. On most chicks you can guess by looking at the comb. Normally little roosters will start to get a bigger red comb much earlier than pullets. It's not foolproof, though.

4. littlels

Oct 27, 2011
    Good! I thought that seemed a little crazy, but I didn't want to be too quite to judge. :)

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    One roo to ten hens is a common ratio for keeping birds, this usually ensures all eggs are fertile and the hens aren't overbred. That might be the figure you heard quoted. But like everything else, birth/hatch rates run pretty much fifty-fifty.

6. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i hatched 9 hens and 2 roos in my last hatch

7. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The human race is 51% female and 49% male. Chickens run pretty close to that also, if not 50 -50. The way is works is: if you want hens then the hatch will be 75% male and 25% female, or so it seems anyway.We all wish it was one to ten but it isn"t. [​IMG]

8. littlels

Oct 27, 2011
    She was buying some chicks from me and wanted to know how many chicks hatched and how many I've sold because of her theory. She only wanted hens of course.

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I think she's confused. She probably heard that only 1 roo is needed per 10 hens and thought Mother Nature would sort that out automatically by only hatching that ratio, or something. LOL. Nope - if you take enough statistics, the average is roughly 50/50, although if you go just on anecdotal figures, you'll find that some people seem to be much better at hatching out one gender than the other. Or so it seems to them anyway, when yet another hatch consists of 7 roos to 2 hens.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by