Male vs female

stuborndancer

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 25, 2010
Ok last two questions before I order my ducks, and thank you everyone who has been helping me out.

I was going to try and get two, but I found out that I'm only going to be allowed one duck. Now I do have a Fantastic kind hearted aussie who will be with the duck most of the time when i'm not but what i need to know is whether to get a solo male or solo female. Eggs would be fun, but i know girls can be louder. I feel fairly competent in training though so that may be able to be worked on. Males are quieter, but i have heard from people that they can get aggressive without a mate. I talked to a couple breeders, and got two completely opposite opinions on the matter. One said yes a male will be aggressive if solo, the other said that that would be incredibly rare.

Other question is where do you recommend buying from? Have been looking at mcmurray as well as metzer.

Thanks for the help again.
big_smile.png

lol well i have been going all over the place with the kind of duck i want... i'm usually pretty decisive. Its between a runner, a cayuga, or a welsh harlequin. I think the female harlequins are beautiful.

I have had a couple of hand raised males get a bit nasty at times. My latest is an Aylesbury, who is now 10 months old. He developed a nasty habit of running for our feet every time we stepped out the back door. He would try and bite our feet as we walked and it became so bad I thought he was going to have to find a new home. I was able to train him to stop by turning him upside down onto his back- it took a week while I was off work- but so far- no more foot attacks for three weeks now.
Males can get a little hormonal- and with no female around this kind of behaviour is not rare. But doesnt happen with every drake. Just thought I would add to your already given forewarning if you do decide to get a drake. Either way- I have kept lone males and females over the years and they both had their pros and cons.

I think you should go with a female too. As far as what breed... look at all the pictures you can find and pick the one you like most. A single duck handled often from a duckling will most likely be friendly no matter the breed.

Back
Top Bottom