Male vs. female

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wafflesandmoe, Aug 10, 2013.

1. wafflesandmoe

wafflesandmoe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2013
    Ok So i rescued my duck(Waffles) when he was an egg and his mother was dead. He was the only one of seven that hatched. We got him a Chicken and they are best friends. He is about 51 days old now. When can i be sure whether or not waffles is male or female. We think male but he has the coloring of female though his head is getting green. We call waffles a he, and we know the chicken (Moe) Is female.

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is waffles a Mallard or domesticated duck?

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Does he have a soft raspy voice or a loud quack?

4. wafflesandmoe

Aug 10, 2013
    He is a mallard

5. wafflesandmoe

Aug 10, 2013
    hard to tell because he/she doesn't talk a lot, but maybe more raspy but pretty loud

6. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard that males don't vocalize a lot and if his head is turning green he's probably a male.

7. Farming Frenzy

Farming Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    Kerikeri New Zealand
    Love your profile pic and he is pprobably a male if he is getting a green head. They start off like that when they are young.

8. wafflesandmoe

Aug 10, 2013
    OK thanks guys!

9. wafflesandmoe

Aug 10, 2013
    Oh and i also have a question about his food, sorry im new to this. ok so i have been feeding him flock raiser and he is over 7 weeks old, do i need to start feeding him something else, or when he is older?

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Another thing you need to consider also is your drakeling will become very hormonal when he reaches sexual maturity, and will set his sights on your hen which will not end well, ducks and chickens are not anatomically built to mate and a drake will kill a chicken if he mates with her. I'd seriously consider a mate for Wafflesand a friend for Moe [if that's your hens name.]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by