Males Added for Warmth - Yikes!!!!!

sacrifice

Songster
10 Years
Mar 29, 2010
Caldwell, ID
Got a call from the Post Office at 9 something this morning. They said they had my chickens. So, I went to the PO expecting 10 chicks and two turkey critters. Entered the PO and as soon as I walked in, heard peeps. Lots of loud peeps. PO lady said these must be yours (small post office). She smiled, and pointed to the "Males added for warmth" message. I opened the package. My 10 bird total was now 18 birds
th.gif

Anyway, I ordered from Natures Hatchery and with the exception of having extra birds, am very pleased. All chicks are healthy and HUGE, finding the water right away and very active. My poor cat, who usually finds birds of that size a perfect mid-morning snack, was actually scared of the birds, probably from the racket they were making
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
. Oh, and the reason that I do not like the extra birds is that I now have no excuse not to invite my chickens to a BBQ, which means I will need to.......you get the idea
big_smile.png

I just can't wait for my wife to come home and hear the birds - she already hates the idea (and possibly me). She was sort of, kind of, maybe, possibly, thinking about getting used to the 5 or so bird idea I had, but now 18! I was planning on giving some of the birds to someone to make it 5 or so birds, but the males are not marked, so I cant give any away because with my luck, I will wind up with all males and no eggs.

So thanks, Natures Hatchery, for the healthy bird critters, and the many future BBQ's. And, though I was skeptical when Natures Hatchery said I would have the birds the next day, they were here the next day, something of a miracle in Juneau. Usually next day air is next week air.

Pictures will be coming soon.

Oh - original order: 3 Buff Oprintons, 3 Black Giants, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, and 2 Broad Breasted Bronze Turkeys

I should be getting my order today or tomorrow from Ideal. I ordered 17 and I think they use 'packing peanuts' to make it 25!! So, should be interesting to see what I get. They were shipped Tuesday, so I expect them today or tomorrow!!

I dunno how it would work on trips to Alaska, but this is exactly why I requested that no males be added for warmth. I paid the couple dollars of postal insurance instead.
I'll be getting my 14 chicks in June, to add to my original flock of 14 and I really don't have room for any more.
Anyhow, just wanted to let you know that with Ideal at least, requesting that no males be added is an option. I would never consider it as an option in the wintertime, but I wouldn't order birds in the wintertime anyhow.

They will be posted after I bring my cat home from the kitty psychologist
D.gif

Actually, I didn't bring my camera cord back to work, so have to wait until I get home to get the cord for the camera. This is one area where standardization should be mandatory! Any USB cable should work -
he.gif
- guess the camera companies need that extra $19 for a 0.50 cent cord.

Next time I will see if the no male option is available. Oh well.

chicks = packing peanuts -
gig.gif

With those breeds, if you post photos, we should be able to tell you which are your peanuts & which are your order unless they put in extras of the breeds you ordered though they normally don't do that.

clap.gif
I can't wait till I get to order chickens and get packing peanuts too I love surprises and can't get the speacility breeds around here...I already have too many from natural way this year and have to build a new tractor shortly to accomidate the young'uns. Oh well!! I did get 3 Amercaunas this year by telling hubby "but they are my sisters!!
hu.gif
"
gig.gif
lau.gif

Quote:
OK - so I got home and made a temporarily permanent brooder for my now 18 birds. They seem very happy in the thing, so it is fine. I looked a bit closer and there are a different breed of bird, so now I know which ones to invite to the BBQ, which ones to keep, and which ones to give away. Thanks for the suggestion danischi24/

Hope yours come soon Wolfwoman!

Now I need to review my coop modification plans
gig.gif

And a couple of pictures.

Confused cat:

52558_chicken_1.jpg

Temporary holding cell until I returned from work:

52558_chicken_2.jpg

So the brown ones are the males - Anyone want to guess what they are?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom