Males, females or straight run?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by moeell1, Jul 8, 2013.

1. moeell1

moeell1 In the Brooder

May 17, 2010
    We are going to purchase our first meat birds...cornish x rocks...should i get males, females or straight run? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Corinna

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    It depends on a couple things...at least it does for me. I order 25 every spring and I go straight run. I butcher in three different batches a several days apart. I do this mainly as I am doing it solo and 8 or 9 birds is plenty to do at one time. I butcher the biggest males first. Then the next remaining biggest birds...they tend to be about the same size as the first batch if done within the same week. The final batch is usually hens - two weeks later than the first to go to to freezer camp - and by now they are big juicy roasters! If they had been males they would have been bigger and my butchering window would have been smaller. That's why I go with straight run.

2 people like this.
  3. moeell1

moeell1 In the Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Awesome, so if we are going to do them all at once, getting the same sex would be best? Thanks!!

Corinna

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    That depends too. If you want them all the same size, get all pullets or all cockerels. The pullets will be 7-10 days behind the cockerels. If you want a variety of sizes to butcher at the same time, go with str8 run. At 7-8 weeks with str8 run, you should have birds that range from 3 1/2 pounds(females) to maybe up to 6 pounds(you might have one or 2). I prefer all cockerels, as they will reach 4-5 dressed weight in 7 weeks.

5. foulplay

foulplay Chirping

i agree with everyone. but i prefer straight run chickens the best. when i have to butcher them they range in size from 4lbs to 8lbs so i get a nice variety of sizes for my customers

1 person likes this.
  6. Thanks for the advice. I will be doing my first butchering next year as I plan to get some chicks for meat. I will be doing the entire process solo. Even at the age of 65, I'm still learning and trying new things. Wish me luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: