"males included for warmth"...

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by EggsForIHOP, May 15, 2010.

1. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    So, what are they? Male = rooster...got that part, but that's the only answer I have. What are they? They LOOK just like the BO chicks that were ordered...so I am guessing BO? Or something else? Never ordered chicks from a hatchery...I have no clue what they could be besides fluffy...came from Randall Burkey if that helps...any thoughts?

2. greathorse

greathorse Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    picture's??? if they look like buffs what makes you think they are not?

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Crowing

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Every time I have seen males added for warmth, they were sexlinks. Maybe they're red sexlinks?

-Daniel.

4. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Camera is MIA since last week...took some pics...swear I brought it in...now it is GONE! Wish i could post pics though!

They look the same, but I just didn't know, so I thought I would ask...wish I had my camera! Wasn't sure if there was a common yellowish fluffy chick they may throw in there or something or if they just used chicks of the same breed as what was going in the box anyways (i.e. order 5 BO pullets, get that plus 5 BO roos...for warmth says the stamp...)Husband prompted the question - he asked me and I was out of answers and ya'll usually have good ones:) Just never done the whole hatchery thing before, so I wasn't sure how they operated...

5. jossanne

jossanne Songster

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    My males for warmth (AKA packing peanuts) have been different breeds than what I've ordered, but I've never ordered from Randall Burkey before. And they were not marked. It would be nice to have a BO roo to go with your hens, if you ever feel like hatching babies...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by