males or females? RIR, Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PeachygirlGA, May 26, 2012.

1. PeachygirlGA

PeachygirlGA Chirping

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    Ok, this is the first time I've posted pictures so here goes!
    This is one of our ameraucanas "Big Dan": boy or girl?
    [​IMG]

here is a RIR "Curious" I'm thinking male?[​IMG]
    another RIR "Butterscotch" I'm hoping is female but I have my doubts

[​IMG]

2. kearstin17

kearstin17 Chirping

Apr 28, 2012
    Grand junction
    how old are they?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Both the RIRs appear to be males.

The first one is an Easter Egger, not an Ameraucana. Would need to see the comb straight on to give a good guess on sex of that one, though.

4. PeachygirlGA

PeachygirlGA Chirping

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    They are 5 weeks old. The guy who sold them to my husband said they were ameraucana. Oh well! I have 2 more that I just didn't get a picture of, but the other "ameraucana" looks very similar to that one and the other RIR doesn't have as big of a comb as the other 2 so I'm thinking it's a female. Will try to get pics of them too. I was hoping only one RIR was a male. I already have a buff orpington rooster and don't think I can have 2 with only 8 hens.

5. kearstin17

kearstin17 Chirping

Apr 28, 2012
    Grand junction
    ya both the RIR are roo's

6. PeachygirlGA

PeachygirlGA Chirping

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    Ahh, that must be why they do the "chest bump"! lol! I've gotten really attached to the one we call "Curious". He jumps up in my lap and falls asleep. I sure do hate to get rid of them. I really wanted 4 hens out of the 5. Oh well, looks like we'll be starting over with some new chicks soon! lol! At least we're already set up for them.

7. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    First of all, you have Production Reds and Easter Eggers. Your EE looks like a pullet, both the Production Reds are cockerels.

8. PeachygirlGA

PeachygirlGA Chirping

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    Goodness, how can you tell they are production and what is the difference? Should I contact the seller and tell him they are not what he says?

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    They are hatchery rhode island reds. No biggie. I have one myself and I love her! I'd love to have another. She's on the right.
    [​IMG]
    Her as a chick.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately your RIR's are boys. Their combs are well developed.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

What she's calling Production Reds are just likely hatchery quality RIRs. Ideal sells them as two separate breeds. Some production reds are crosses of New Hampshire and RIR, some are not, just depends.

A true heritage RIR is almost black in color, very very dark. If they came from a hatchery, they are just not that type.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: