Males rushing at each other and female

Junkybird

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Dacusville, SC
I have 5 guineas, only one of them is a hen. I had two hens, but one was attacked by a neighbor dog. So, this one hen limps a little, but it doesn't seem interfere with life too much except that she is a little slower. Could this be why my male guineas shoo her away from food, run up to her with their wing feathers all puffed up? Do they think she is inferior or something, or are they all fighting over her? They also do this to each other (rushing) and I am confused.

As to the limp, I've never seen anything on the bottom of her foot, but isn't there something called bumblefoot? Does this occur in all birds?

When they run at each other with their wings out it is usually some sort of dominance show. If it is a female they are probably showing off and trying to impress her.

Our male does this to shew the female away from danger like when we drive up in the car he will charge at her with his wings flared to keep her from running in front of us..

Mine do this all the time. It is just a male thing that has to do with his showing off self and dominance. Don't worry about it at all

Back
Top Bottom