1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

males together

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by peacockfarmer1, Jan 10, 2011.

1. peacockfarmer1

peacockfarmer1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    if you have more than one peacock in the same pen will the other get to mate or is it like chickens when the dominant sees the less dominant mating he will nock him off the hen?
    and don't peahens not let the male mate with them very often

2. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    This all depends on a few things.

Size of pen?

How old are they?

How many hens?

How many males?

We never have more then 1 male to a breeding pen, now you can have as many males you want in a pen as long as there's no hens present (in with them). I haven't never seen them knock each other off just fight til one is about dead, this was years ago when we first started we had a holding pen with some 2 yr olds in it and I finely had to separate them.

Steve

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  3. peacockfarmer1

Dec 11, 2010
    the pen i have now is 24 wide 37 long 6 high (by the way is 6 foot ok for a mature peacock)
    right now all i have is a two year old IB peacock i was just wondering if i hatched some would i be able to keep a male out of the hatch
    im going to try to get 3 to 5 hens this spring for my male
    like if a baby was raised with the dad would they still have problems

4. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    When its breeding season the males only see one thing and it belongs to him. Now there may be other people out that has been able to have more the one male to a pen in breeding season but mine fight thought the fence so I had to add 5ft tall blinders and some still jump up to fight over the blinder.

6ft will work most of mine are 7 to 8 ft tall.

Steve

5. peacockfarmer1

Dec 11, 2010
    also i am about to build a house on the end of the run it is going to be 8 deep 12 wide where should i put the roost so he can jump down when his train gets big?

6. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    I think its individual
    Some males are fighters... or they just have it out for someone in particular.

In my spalding pen I have 3 adult males and about 7 adule hens. Nobody fights.
    BUT
    one of the spalding males likes to fence fight with a free ranging black shoulder male.... go figure.

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    note all these males all together , and yes a few peahens are in the pen also. If enought room they will set pecking order, but you would never know who father what.

I keep my extra peacocks all penned together .All yearling hens also penned with them. they are penned together with my breeders too ,thru the winters

[​IMG]

8. peacockfarmer1

Dec 11, 2010
    are those males with full trains how tall is that pen??

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    my pens are 25 x 50, and I have 2-5 males in every one with 6-12 hens, never once had a fight. Trick is add them all at nce, preferably out of breeding season. Once you get an establish group in a pen, it can be hard to add more males with out a war. Trick there is to move all the males out into a new pen for a couple weeks without hens, once you feel all is good, they can be added back to the pen you want them in.
    The only bird I have ever had that was just mean was a high percentage spalding male. and it was just to younger males I had in the pen with him, young javas. Moved him over to a cameo pen with 3 cam males in it, he never once touched a one of them. So yes it is very possible to do, most breeders to at some point.

As for pen hight, mine are 6 foot tall on the sides, but hiked up on 12 foot high poles in the center where the roost poles are. Higher the better, you can get by with 6, but they wont have much room to rooste up off the ground then. I like the 12

10. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I like that pen deerman![​IMG]

My pen is like Boggy Bottom Bantams it is around 6ft at the edges were it attaches to the fence, but I have three posts holding it up maybe 10ft or a bit higher then a birdhouse little birdhouse on a pole that is 25ft tall. Their roosts are on the tall posts holding up the netting.

As for males I am able to keep a younger and older male together in with three peahens. I started off with just a yearling male, then later I got the adult male, who is three, and put him in the pen with everyone. The younger male was a bit afraid of him at first and now that the younger male is 2 he looks up to the older male and hangs out with him more and is less afraid of him. Sometimes they display together too. Hopefully they won't fight eventually but so far having one younger and one older has worked out pretty well...Of course the older male is just really nice and not mean to any of the peafowl. Another thing is they have some good space in the 50x40 pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by