1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Malformed egg's with watery whites

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JoshFig, Sep 16, 2016.

1. JoshFig

JoshFig Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2015
    Background: I have a couple of 1.5 year old hens that are hitting their first molt. Not sure if this is from one of them (molting issue)- but I wanted to put this out to see if there were any insights.

Issue: I've had 3 eggs over the past week that were somewhat 'mal-formed' (see photo) - coming about every other day. All of them had whites that were the consistency of water. The yokes were fine and had good white around the yoke - but the rest of the eggs are like water (if I crack the egg water basically splashes out).

Any thoughts as what could be causing this? Molting? Parasites? Disease?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. JoshFig

Aug 4, 2015
    Good article - although i'm still a bit up in the air on the cause.

One other note: I have 12 hens - 8 from this spring and 4 from last spring (2 of which are molting). They all free range and the rest of the eggs are fine.

In addition - the eggs are not being stored at all (which eliminates storage issues).

My best guess is still that I'm getting 'junky' eggs from the molt. My maran (who is molting) has had terrible egg quality as well (no dark coating / spots).

Any other ideas?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's a typical malformation, a 'slab sided egg'..... it could be because of production slowing down before a molt, or starting back up after a molt....
    ......or it could be one if the causes listed in the funky egg article.

5. JoshFig

Aug 4, 2015
    Would any of the causes of 'slab sided eggs' also cause watery whites? Any possible correlation between the two or more likely coincidental, with both being caused by a molting hen putting her energy into feather growth rather than egg production?

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by