malformed(?) leg . UPDATE...It's eating !!! pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JimnJanet, May 2, 2008.

1. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    I have a 2 day old pheasant chick. This little bugger was havin too much trouble hatchin (so i think) and i intervened, anywho, it's right leg doesn't work properly. It's allmost like i interfered and cut him out before he was ready to hatch. When it tires to walk it's leg jist goes in sort of a circle and overlaps it's wing. needless to say, it can't walk very well and i have yet to see it drink or take food. I know that pheasant chicks are supposed to be able to not eat or drink for 3 days because they still have yolk in them(its belly is very rounded).
    Has anyone ever experienced this with any other chicks and did the leg ever git "right" ? Or is this little bugger doomed ?
    I have tried puttin it's little beak into the water and food but it doesn't seem to work. It will peck at the shavings in the brooder so other than it's natural curiosty for things it might eat.
    Should i jist cull it now or does anyone have any tips ?

I figgered out how to git it to eat. I put it into a small box with food spread on the floor and it began eating immediately. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see the bad leg. Is this spraddle leg Brenda ? I noticed that it's left leg aint in all that good o' shape either. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

You could try the fix for spraddle leg...

3. JimnJanet

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Quote:How do you do that ?

4. SpottedCrow

Looks like she's got 2 things going on with her leggies...

The spraddle legs you can fix with a common household bandaid. The tape part goes around each little leg. The pad part goes between the legs...the bird can still get around but it's legs will be in the right position.

The crooked feet make take a bit more time...cut some plastic, like margarine tub lids to fit the feet and then tape the chick's bright new kicks onto it's feet....

5. JimnJanet

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Quote:Thanx Brenda, i undestand perfectly. Question tho.

Is this gonna cause some kind o' new fashion statement and have me makin "bright new kicks" fer the rest o' the gals ??? [​IMG]
    And then what do i do when they out grow 'em huh? What will they want next ? Matching purses ? And what if my chickens see 'em ? I can see it now. They're all gonna have Janet up all hours makin new threads for 'em and hangin new custom curtains in thier coops. And then what when my neighbors birds see all this ? Huh? What's gonna become o' the hood ????? I can see the parties now !!!!!! girls 'll be gittin down !! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Roos 'll be struttin and putin' [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  6. JimnJanet

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Oh yeah Brenda, one more thing, how long do i leave these "new kicks" and support hose on her ?

7. SpottedCrow

I would say about a week...check them after a couple of days and if they're not straight leave on for more time...
    LOL![​IMG]
    Might create a fashion sensation, considering I bought a Tshirt for Penny to wear while she grew in new feathers...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by