Malformed Silkie Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkie1472, May 3, 2017.

1. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    My broody silkie is hatching her first brood of chicks. However, it is not going too smoothly. When I came home from school, I went and checked on them to see if any had hatched. One had hatched and dried, and the others were on their way. About 2 hours later, I went back to check, and another silkie had hatched. Thinking it was normal, I just let it dry. I went back out just a little bit ago and saw that it was not near as active and rather clumsy. I picked him up and saw something that I've never seen before. One of his legs was backwards!!!! I carefully tried moving it, but it seems permanent. I just put him back under her and got on BYC to see what could have caused this. The chicks seem healthy, and hatched on their own. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    It happens----sometimes a chick will be born with a damaged leg----I have had several---they just need a little different care than the rest and can grow to productive chickens.

My concern is you bothering her, looking under her which means you are atleast tilting/lifting to see under her. She is in Lock-Down---as long as her body stays down she can keep the humidity high for the hatch. If she is tilted the humidity drops----how much that can or will effect the rest of the hatch---time will tell. I would not be a happy person if someone was doing my hen like that, But this is yours so I should keep quiet----but you wanted some Advice and that is mine!

3. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016

No, I completely understand what you are saying. Honestly, there should not even be any chicks hatching. This is the worst mother that I have ever seen. She abandoned the eggs for two full days during lockdown!!!! They still managed to internally and externally pip. I've learned when and when not to intervene, and I would never do anything to jeapordize my chickens or chicks. Thanks for the quick reply though! I'll try to keep you updated on the rest of the hatch.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by