Mallard acting drunk earlier,seems a tad better

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ClapperCounty, Aug 4, 2013.

1. ClapperCounty

ClapperCounty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    Yorktown, VA
    He is 5 months old, eats flock raiser, gets cracked corn as a treat as well as assorted fruits and veggies-whatever we're eating that day.
    He acted FINE all day. I was inside for about 45 min, went back out and he was laying and his head was wobbling like he was drunk. It lasted for about 3 hours, wouldn't take water, and seemed to have no control over his head. His wings were fine, no bite marks, nothing out of the ordinary in the yard.??
    The hubs said he dumped a little old birdseed to refill the feeders this morning.
    About an hour ago I took carried him to be with the rest of the flock (who all seem fine! He's our only mallard-2pekins and 9 chickens). He finally took some water I gave him, still no good, flapped his wings slowly, stood but still a bit wobbly, and would walk a little but slowly.
    I just tucked everyone in but I'm worried!!!! I have no idea what happened or what I will find in the morning. Has anyone ever had their duck act like this??

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Old birdseed can have toxins in it. But it may have been something else. Could be botulism.

There is a sticky on doing a toxin flush.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

Activated charcoal, a food grade supplement, in water will absorb some toxins also.

You are right to be concerned.

Be sure to provide plenty of fresh water. Check on him frequently. Maybe bring him in closer where you can watch him, as long as he's safe (from other animals, etc.).

3. ClapperCounty

Apr 14, 2013
    Yorktown, VA
    He's safe in the coop and he's happiest with the other ducks. He was quacking for them when it was time to go in. Sadly I do not have any supplies as it was so sudden!
    I'll be up with the sun to check on him and lord willing he will be doing better.
    I was afraid the birdseed may have been the culprit once the hubs told me. No one else had any reaction though and everyone partook according to the hubs. Maybe because he's smaller?? There will be more precautions taken in the future with changing out birdseed.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Just keep plenty of fresh water available... I don't know how he'll be without any sort of help. Hope he will be okay.

5. ClapperCounty

Apr 14, 2013
    Yorktown, VA
    We got up this morning and he's acting like nothing ever happened! Maybe he got into something fermented?? I've checked the yard again and am still going to keep my eye on him.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]
    Whew! Great news!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by