mallard babies coloring

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by priszilla, May 25, 2008.

1. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    we have 21 mallard ( or mallard cross) ducklings out in the yard with their 2 mommys- they have regular mallard drakes and our 2 half mallard half runner duck drakes as (overambitious) suitors.I am wondering if there is a way to tell by chick coloring which are pure and which are crossed. The babies range from black to yellow with faint markings- with every variation in between. they areadorable- we managed to pen up one of the moms' and her babies for their safety.Trying to figure out a way to secure the other one. We also have 2 more baby ducklings, from t he chicken hen that stole our runner duck's nest-Anyone want some ducks??[​IMG]

2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    wish you lived near Ma i would take a few ducklings in a heart beat to go with my lonely mallard duckling . He thinks hes a chick becasue i have him with a few OEGB chicks lol

3. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Post pics maybe i can help ID pures. where do live? Your feed store or Tractor supply or where ever you got the parents would probably pay for them.

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    pics would help

5. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Pics would be great! Nice clear ones so we can see every facial stripe. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by