Mallard babies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by msbackwoods, Apr 17, 2011.

1. msbackwoods

msbackwoods Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    We have 4 Mallards (3 hens & 1 drake) they had the back toe clipped when we got them. Now we have babies, at what age and how do you go about clipping the toe.

We also have a pair of Black East Indies, she is currently sitting. Is there anything special that you must do to these to indicate domestic?

2. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:The toe is clipped to indicate a domestic bird? Wouldn't a bright leg band be a better indicator, or would that get confused by hunters with the band the DNR puts on wild birds?

3. msbackwoods

Jul 4, 2010
    The Federal Wildlife requires captive breed Mallards to be marked by clipping back toe. I believe it is before 6 weeks of age, just needed feedback from someone that had actually raised them.

4. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I raised Mallards in NY, I am unaware of a toe clipping. Where did you get your info?

5. msbackwoods

Jul 4, 2010
  6. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    The key is the phase "in business to raise". If you are raising as pets, no problem.

Also, if they were under federal regulation, then TSC and the others could not legally sell them.

My interpretation is if you raise "wild" mallards for re-sale, then the law applies.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by