mallard baby hatched...dried on down??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducklove334, May 14, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I got a pip in one of my mallard eggs!...and it's TWO days early!

is that good or bad?????

O_O

it's just a pip, and I hope it's still alive...

i havn't bothered the bator since early yesterday.

come on with me! GO DUCKIE GO!

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Since it can take up to 3 days for the little booger to pop out of there...it sounds like it is right on time.

3. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    really? wow!

the chicks were fast when they hatched, from pip to full zip only took about an hour or two [​IMG]

4. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Ducks seem to take a lot longer. Or maybe my ducklings are just lazy [​IMG]

5. Stamper

Stamper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    how's the egg?

6. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    the little guy hatched, he's had a few problems, I sorta had to help, butcause his little wing had dried to the inside of the membrane,he's still got like, a popped out belly button, where the yolk is going into his body, and all his down is dried to his skin, not fluffy.

he's been really active, and is actually trying to stand some it looks like, he's looking arounf, peeping.

I'm keeping his warm and moist, in hopes of losening up the down, is there anything else I can do??

7. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    That's all for now. Sounds like he is a bit of a preemie. Keep the humidity up and then if he is still "cruddy" tomorrow try wiping him off with a warm wash cloth. I would wait until the rest of the yolk absorbed first though.

8. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    all his yolk is absorbed, and the are where his belly button will be is closed up, he's still really active, the only problem now is keeping him warm, he's in the same brooder tank the chicks were, with a heat pad that shuts off after a while, he's fluffing up in some places, but still matted on his head. I'm hoping he makes it, I've got somone who's been waiting almost a month for ducklings from me. plus I'd be upset if he died.

9. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If he is active, eating and pooping, chances are very good.

10. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    My first duck out was very similar to this also. Her "belly button" area closed up within a day.
    After a couple of days I gave her a bath in very warm water to get the dried yolk off and dried her off with the hair dryer on low. I was just planning on putting her in the incubator to dry off, but she was shivering so much I dried her off instead.
    Sometimes the first duck gets a little overexcited about hatching I think! But mine turned out fine!
    Hope your baby does well also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by