Mallard Breed Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by OSUman, Nov 17, 2010.

1. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I have liked mallards for awhile now and I had never seen any at a show until I went to the ON. Here are some pics of the Mallards from the ON. If you have mallards show of the pics of yours here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Snowy Mallards
    [[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kswaterfowl

kswaterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    We raise snowy's I love them! Really like the breed, but the snowy pattern is so striking we love seeing them on the grass.

3. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    These are my "babies": Alex and Boom-Boom, the two oldest drakes & Nana & Ricky-Bobby (who I still can't decide if He is a He or not)
    Alex has the bright green head

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ever seen "cheeks" on a duck?
    [​IMG]

sneek attack
    [​IMG]

Is that you, momma?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

headless duck or fun in the mud!

[​IMG]

4. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Quote:Cool, have you shown them at all? Or do you just keep them for pets?

5. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Quote:Great pics, i loved my mallards. I have lost all the ones that I had to predators.

6. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    Quote:Great pics, i loved my mallards. I have lost all the ones that I had to predators.

I love to watch mine fly, but regretfully, they are each getting a wing clipped this afternoon. No more flying until duck season is over. I am in Stuttgart, Arkansas which is the duck hunting capital of the world and we have several duck hunting clubs around and behind our house and I can't bear the thought of someone shooting one of my babies. There is a 5-6 mile stretch of flooded rice fields right behind my house and each one is literally covered up with wild mallards and others that have migrated down. If there is a field without water, it is covered in geese (snow, speckled belly, and some canadians). I also have 2 muskovy, 1 pekin, and 1 fawn runner.

7. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Couldn't find any good pictures of my drakes but here is a couple of pics of this years batch of ducklings at different ages. p.s. as some of you already know its not my thing to set the date on my camera. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  8. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Quote:Cool do you let them roam around your place or do you have an aviary or something that you use?

9. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    all except my ornamentals get to free range my property from dawn till dusk. At night i put them up in an aviary and yes they are fully winged. You can see my aviary in my thread in my signature.

Finished product is on page 7 and 8

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  10. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Great aviary. Do the mallards go in themselves or do you have to herd them/ catch them and put them in there? I had my mallards go in a pen until something got into it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by