**Mallard Drake gone missing**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rsimental11, Oct 11, 2014.

1. rsimental11

rsimental11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2014
    Hey everyone,

Situation here and looking for some insight. At around 7 am, I looked at my backyard (I live in a community of homes) and my birds were fine. (1 drake, 1 female duck, 1 chicken). They were free ranging this morning. It started raining heavily so I decided to go get my hen and bring her inside. After I did so, I realized my drake was nowhere to be found. I have an average sized backyard so did a quick run through and couldn't find him. The female was quacking uncontrollably looking for him too. There are no signs of any type of struggle as far as an attack is concerned. No dogs nearby that can jump our fence. One cat I've seen, but it's smaller than my drake. Any ideas of what could have happened?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Welcome to BYC, either a bird of prey swooped in and grabbed your drake or he flew off. Do they have places to hide under if hawks are flying over head? What age are your ducks?

3. rsimental11

Oct 11, 2014
    Yes, they have places to hide. I originally think he could have been taken up but he's about 5 months old now, so a good size. I think it would have been tough to grab him and fly away. Also, he's very quick and has flown around in the yard so I know he could have dodged a strike.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Then most likely he went flying and decided to stay where ever he went. Maybe since he has a mate there he'll come back.

5. rsimental11

Oct 11, 2014
    =( He grew up with the female duck. Is that uncommon for him to want to leave her? I'm planning to get another duck. Will she have a hard time making a new friend?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Intro should be done slowly, ducks that are new are perceived as outsiders so if you can set up a newbie area where your resident duck and new one can meet and see each other but can't touch. that way they can get use to each other. Hopefully your drake will come back. He may have gotten grounded if the rain was coming down hard. Do you have a lake,pond of river close by? he maybe there. This is also time of year mallards are migrating, do you have migrating ducks/birds flying over head.

7. rsimental11

Oct 11, 2014
    Thanks for the advice. There's none that I've seen.
    I always check the overhead birds to make sure no predators. I went to the closest pond, and he's not there. It's just so random. The female is a cayuga. Why didn't she go with him? That's what my hangup is when I speculate that he flew away.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hard to say why she didn't go to. Has she flown before.

We have Canada geese flying over and my geese are very interested but thankfully haven't tried to fly.

9. rsimental11

Oct 11, 2014
    She's glided, not really flown. I'll keep an eye out for any sign of a predator. Because if something did come, it might try again. Thanks for all your insight!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by