Mallard drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by acriswell4, Oct 12, 2016.

1. acriswell4

acriswell4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2016
    How do I know if my duck is happy? He is a single duck. I take him to a house across from my work everyday, they have 1female mallard and lots of chicken hens. They are in separate kennels but can see each other. And the female free ranges so she walks along my ducks cage. I'm going to try to introduce them this weekend. It's been 2 weeks. My duck has only been around other ducks 2 times and he never went near them just kept his distance. I guess I just want to know how do I know if he is happy or not.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Ducks need other Ducks to really enjoy life..They are very social in a flock...If one decides to walk over to another area? They all follow...Let him out with the hen..They will both be happy...

Cheers!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Ducks are quite sociable that is why they flock together, but if one duck has never been around other ducks it takes time for the flock to accept him and he them . Just what you are doing now is the best way for ducks to get to know each other placing them close so they can meet through fencing As for whether he is happy well only you can tell does he eat good does he move around or lay in one place alot do you interact with him so he doesn't get lonely? Most ducks don't do well on their own, they really like companionship so unless he is with you 24/7 he could be lonely and probably not as happy as he would be if he had friends or you with him all the time. .

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  4. acriswell4

Jul 24, 2016
    He may be alone 3 hours at the most. Otherwise I'm holding him or he is walking around the house. I was trying to find a home but can't find anywhere good enough for him well the place I found was good but he never took to the flock and was so happy to see me when I went to visit. But then again he runs every time I try to pick him up. He is fine once I get him calm and start petting him

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am sorry I remember you now.. Your doing the best you can for him. I honestly think my drake would be fine with out other ducks since he is imprinted on me. But he sure is happy having his girls..

Have you thought about adding another duck to your family? A female?

6. acriswell4

Jul 24, 2016
    I'm not suppose to have ducks [​IMG] Never planned on having him lol. Does your drake run from you? Spots loved my daughter but now he attacks her. He won't come to me but I think it's cause I put him away. Once I have him he loves his cuddles

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My drakes doesn't run from me Opie is a pretty unique drake {muscovy] He likes cuddles and loves to walk around with us when we're outside.

What your seeing is a sexually mature drake with Spots, they can get overly carried away and nip and bite once they mature. Especially if they don't have any females we become their center of affection and that means nips and bites too.

I really don't know what to tell you to do other than keep looking for that perfect home for Spots. It does take quite a bit of time for them to adjust to a new place and other ducks. Maybe the last time he didn't have enough time to adjust.

8. acriswell4

Jul 24, 2016
    He was there for 2 weeks. And the place he goes to now would be perfect but they have so much stuff that could hurt him like nails on the ground and car parts. And they have 3 turkeys I'm scared they will hurt spots

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can you talk to these people about poultry picking things like nails screws and other types of metal that is shiny. Maybe they would try to clean up the place. Turkeys can be mean. I'd say Spots would not be able to be penned or cooped up with them.

10. acriswell4

Jul 24, 2016
    Ya, I think I'm going to tell her that I can't do it. I have a Facebook page for spots if you want to see him it's Spots Daily Duck 'deets"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by