Mallard drakes fight like girls

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickInDelight, Sep 22, 2011.

1. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    At first, I was horrified at both the way the drakes fight, and also how they breed my darling little Mallard girls. [​IMG]

Every day, I look for missing feathers, marks - any sign of injury, but alas, everyone looks great. [​IMG]

The Mallard drakes pinch each others necks, and pull feathers, and dance around each other like the fight scene from Bridget Jones' Diary. Malcolm has claimed all 3 ducks for himself. Melvin is often isolated completely from the flock, is not allowed to swim with the girls, and has to wait to use the pool all alone. [​IMG]

Too many drakes spoil the flock. [​IMG]

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Wow, sounds like they fight the way my two girls used to fight [​IMG] how many male and female ducks do you have?

3. ChickInDelight

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    I have 2 Mallard drakes and 3 Mallard ducks. I also have 2 Pekin drakes. No one fights with them, and I swear, I am afraid they might drown those poor little Mallard girls.

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Nah. Probably just mating. But you might want to get a few more girls? Or seperate/sell some boys? Just a thought?

5. ChickInDelight

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Oh yes - they are mating - but not as nicely as the Mallards. [​IMG] That is what is so funny. The Mallards fight with one another over the girls, but no one bothers the big Pekins.

I am growing 3 baby Pekin girls, but they are still very young. [​IMG]

This seems to be the basis of duck math. "Oh no - I have too many drakes! Must get more girly ducks." [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Very frequently multiple drakes gang breeding hens have drowned them. Esecially when the drakes are far larger than the hens. If they were mine, I would be very cautious about allowing the Pekins access to the mallard hens.

7. ChickInDelight

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Yikes. Perhaps it is time to radically reduce the level of water in the baby pool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by