1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mallard duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MollySanWV, Feb 19, 2013.

1. MollySanWV

MollySanWV Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2012
    West Virginia
    Hello everyone I am very new to BYC and have a few questions about my mallard ducks! I have 2 males and 1 female that i got as ducklings last summer from my local feed store and this morning i found my first two duck eggs in one of my nesting boxes. I know they are the first she has laid because they are green and i have never had green eggs before from my chickens. I recently got sucked into the world of incubating eggs but have only done it once with Orpington chicken eggs and i am DYING to incubate these duck eggs because my mallards are the SWEETEST ducks. Sooooo my question is should i wait until she lays a couple more eggs to try and incubate or would these first two be okay to try? And also once she has started laying how often does a mallard duck usually lay eggs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Well with 2 male to 1 female at least you know their fertile. Poor girl . Personally I would wait till this weekend to set the eggs so you have a chance to get some more eggs. But I am far from being a professional when it come to incubating its just my opinion.

3. MollySanWV

Dec 12, 2012
    West Virginia
    Thank you very much for your input [​IMG] I would definitely like to wait til this weekend to see if I get more but was unsure of how long i could wait before putting them in the incubator. I was concerned at first about the one female and two males but one of the males is ironically much more interested in my chickens then the female mallard lol.

4. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    You need to be careful with drakes and hens as the drake can damage the chickens. I would give it a week or two to be sure of fertile eggs. Mallards are the best :)

5. MollySanWV

Dec 12, 2012
    West Virginia
    Thank you very much! I was unaware that the drakes could harm the chickens so i will definitely be on the lookout for bad behavior. I haven't noticed anything like that yet but will keep my eye on them[​IMG] I will also probably wait a week or so for more eggs to incubate, i was just so excited when i found them this morning i got impatient!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by