1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mallard Duck Lost Her Voice Changes in Color Beak/Feet Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hayleyasaurus, Jul 1, 2011.

1. hayleyasaurus

hayleyasaurus Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    East Windsor
    Hello! My little one year old mallard duck has seemed to have lost her voice. She sounds like a little toy squeaky duck and can't quack very loud at all. I've also noticed that her feet have gotten slightly darker over time and her beak has turned completely black gradually. I really can't afford another vet bill right now so if there's something I can do to help her myself that would be great. Does anyone know why this is happening to her or what I could do to help?
    Thank you,
    Hayley

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    What have you been feeding her?

3. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    I don't know about the voice thing. I know that birds can get an impacted crop, which is where their throat basically gets jammed full of food. I have no idea if that would make them squeaky, but you might want to look into it.

I wouldn't worry about her bill and feet at all. Those can change color over time and it's perfectly normal, just like a human can be born with blonde hair and grow up to have brown hair.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  4. hayleyasaurus

Feb 13, 2011
    East Windsor
    I have her on layer food from agway and give her spinach grapes melon strawberries ect, as snacks daily.

That does seem like it would make sense though she has been looking a little awkwardly fat lately, thanks

I think that I'm just going to take her to the vet it looks like she could also have worms from what i found online

5. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

I have heard that spinach is not good for ducks. Something about it that doesnt allow ducks to absorb calcium I think is what i read.

6. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Spinach is okay in small amounts. Just don't overdo it. It has the same effect on people and chickens too.

7. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I think the feet and beak coloration is just normal. As they age and then reach full maturity between 6 months and year, they get the final adult coloration.

The voice, well, don't know what that's about.

8. hayleyasaurus

Feb 13, 2011
    East Windsor
    oh no I definitely over do it on the spinach then I'll make sure not to do that anymore, thanks.
    Yeah i have no clue what could going on with her voice but it's been going on for a little while and hasn't gotten any better just worse so i just made an apt for her tomorrow morning:/

9. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    Hey, did you ever get your duck to the vet? What did the vet have to say?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by