mallard duck pests.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by stumble_n_mumble, Mar 27, 2009.

1. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    the other morning we woke up to find a pair of mallard ducks swimming in our pool cover lol. there still here and its 3 days later. i called wildlife control and they said here in new york there protected and can not be disturbed/kept as pets/or killed. so what can i do? we go out scare them away. they fly away and then come back maybe an hour later. someone told us they will probably make a nest or something in the backyard. anything we can do to get rid of em??? thanks!

2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Can i just ask why you want them gone? Is it a poopie issue? Is it a boy/girl pair? Might be kinda neat to keep them around??

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  3. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    it is a boy girl pair. but if my dogs were to get them or something... i would feel really bad. and they are a pain because they poop ALL OVER i only have a pekin and a silkie chicken and thats enought lol

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Yeah, they do poop a lot. Any way you could drain the water off the pool cover? I imagine they'll find some open water once it warms up there a bit more. Is your Pekin where they can hear it? They might be "chatting" with each other?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    What wildlife control didn't tell you, roast duck is right tasty. Left be and you will have 6 to 10 more in the pool in a month or so.

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    try a horned owl statue or a scare grow type deal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by