Mallard Duck Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mallard Lvr, May 6, 2017.

1. Mallard Lvr

Mallard Lvr New Egg

May 6, 2017
    I have a pair of mallard ducks that started coming into my yard this spring. Started feeding them corn and offering them water. The male no longer comes but the female does daily for a bath in a 3 gallon bowl and to eat. My question is when I got home today I found pieces of eggs shell in the water bowl and a dead duckling. I think some yoke was in the bottom of the bowl also. The bowel is 3 or 4 inches tall so I have no idea how this happened. I do have other bird feeders out so other birds visit as well. Can anyone explain this? Thanks!

2. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Just a guess, but I'd say likely a predator found the nest. Racoons will wash their food in water, so maybe a raccoon. Mallards nest on the ground, so easy access if it's found. Probably found just as they were hatching out, or before, as the mother will start moving them around pretty soon after hatch.

3. Mallard Lvr

Mallard Lvr New Egg

May 6, 2017
    The hatchling was not mauled in any way. I haven't seen raccoons in my area and I have lived here 13 years. I thought raccoons were nocturnal because this happened during daylight hours. I also live in a residential area. Could it still have been a raccoon? I do have opposum at night, squirrel, chipmunks, rabbits and also blue jays, black birds, occasionally a hawk. Hate to think it but wondering if someone was just being cruel.

Last edited: May 6, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by