Mallard duck questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by YaksChicks, Aug 30, 2014.

1. YaksChicks

YaksChicks New Egg

May 2, 2014
    Haughton Louisiana
    Hey yall. I have a Drake and her that are basically pets. I noticed today that my Drake is starting to attempt to mate w the her. We got them in late April at 4 weeks old. What can I expect egg wise? Will she hatch all of them? Where will she lay? I have no clue and all the research I do doesn't really help. We are in Louisiana so there's no real winter here. Lol. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Keep in mind that a Mallard Duck may or may not hatch her own eggs and you might need to step in and use an incubator. When my family raised Mallards she went broody luckily and hatched five at least. Before you get too excited test one of the eggs when you get them to see if they are fertile. Inbreeding can be a more dangerous tool in ducks then in chickens. But if it's working then go for it what's the worst that can happen?

3. YaksChicks

YaksChicks New Egg

May 2, 2014
    Haughton Louisiana
    What do u mean by test one? She's not even laying anything right now. But today I saw my Drake actually mount her

4. Twistedfeather

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Wait for her to lay an egg. Just because he's mounting her doesn't mean she'll lay eggs just yet. But this means with the mounting that the Drake is entering sexual maturity. Your Duck on the other hand may not be ready just yet. Testing an egg means breaking one open to see if you can see any signs of fertility. Normally when you do this you are the one hatching them through an incubator and you see some problems when you candle them

5. hollys

hollys New Egg

Aug 30, 2014
    Uh oh. We have pekin ducks and just put the eggs in the incubator. Should we have checked one first? I don't even think I would know what to look for.

6. Twistedfeather

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Wait a little bit eggs don't start to develop until day five or seven. Candling is also something you might want to try. Go into a dark room and use a really strong flashlight to see if can see something. Dark embryo's normally means something went wrong. If you can find this book:

[​IMG]

It's by Gail Damerow and it's really good on telling you what to do if your doing it for the first time.

7. hollys

hollys New Egg

Aug 30, 2014
    Thanks for all the help! Fingers crossed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by