Mallard Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by My Mallard, Feb 11, 2016.

1. My Mallard

My Mallard New Egg

Feb 11, 2016
    I have a beautiful Mallard duck that lives on my pond and a small island in the pond. He was there when I bought the property and he never tries to leave. Don't know how long he has been there but he seems very happy. I have begun feeding him scratch from the local co-op. I know nothing about keeping a duck but since I have him, I want to make him
    happy. Occasionally he has visitors such as Canadian Geese or Herron's. They visit for a few hours then leave but he remains there. I have seen him flap his wings and travel across the pond but I have never seen him actually fly. I'm wondering if he is unable to fly? Also I am wondering if he could be a hybrid that isn't able to fly. I worry about him
    not having any protection although he seems happy on the little island. Should I try to get a floating house for him? I
    live in North Alabama and it does get cold here. Being a wild duck, I assume he can take care of himself.
    Anyone with a suggestion for caring for my new friend would be appreciated.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If he is unable to fly he is particularly susceptible to predators. If, as you guess, he is a hybrid domestic-wild, that might explain it, or he may have an injury.

It's a good question - how might you be able to provide him more safety than he has?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by