Mallard duckling with marbeled feet(pics)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckchick2011, May 16, 2011.

1. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    What does it mean if a mallard hatches out with marbled feet?

His/her's brothers and sisters all had normal little dark orangy feet, this one has white toe nails and his webs look like they were dipped in paint. (not really white just a notably lighter orangey pink than the rest of the foot.) Is this normal or is he/she possibly some sort of hybrid? He is smaller than his brothers and sisters.

Its probably normal, I'm Just curious [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    probably a cross. I have a duckling in sundays batch that has black feet with lighter spotting on it. Cool looking little bird, it has black bill/feathers with yellow(white) chest that resembles a black swedish but has light skin and is a cross between a second generation Mallardxhatchery quality Black Runner.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a call duck with marbled feet, too. On the webs, too, not just the toes. It's as if he stepped in some dark orange paint. Most of the webbing of his feet is black, but not all.

4. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    That sounds very similar to my duckling. If he is a hybrid of some sort...I have no clue what he would be crossed with. All my adult ducks are mallards, but they are free range and get a whole 7 acre lake to themselves soooo there really is no telling...It would be funny if he was crossed with a wood duck cause those are the only other ducks I've seen around here.

...I wonder what he's going to look like as an adult?

5. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    The more an more I look at this Duckling the more differences I notice.

For one he is the smallest, he was the last to hatch, the marbled feet, and his overall color is darker than the others. His feathers are similar to the others but are more mottled.(the others seem to have a certain pattern to their feathers, his is the same but the pattern is broken and the feathers are darker.)

I still haven't gotten a decent pic of him,

...maybe tomorrow....wouldn't it be so funny if he was some kind of wild duck cross [​IMG]

6. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Just thought I would go ahead and post the pics, [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ducksngoatsgalore

ducksngoatsgalore Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Nebraska
    I think he's cool looking [​IMG]. I rasie Anconas cuz I like the unique differences each one has [​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG]

Oooh! I just wanna pick him up and give him a squeeze!

My duck with marbled feet actually has it across the toes, too. That is, draw a line - a wavy one - across a webbed foot and the color is different above and below that line. It's not just in the webbing.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  9. the duck whisperer

the duck whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Ohio
    odd but very cool [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by