1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mallard duckling

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChcknLady, May 8, 2009.

1. ChcknLady

ChcknLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Western Pa
    My 4 week old mallard duckling is getting what seems to be blue feathers on the tips of the wings. Does this indicate sex at all? Please help-I'm trying to name them and it is hard when you don't know if they are girls or boys!!!

2. Punk-Rock_Chicken

Punk-Rock_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    High Springs, Florida
    No...both male and females have the blue on their wings. Best way to tell is males have a solid black beak. But somethimes it's hard to tell when they a by themselves. When there are a bunch together you can see the differance and pick out the males.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Ummm, how about the curl in the tail of the boys? Of course that develops later, but as adults anyways, the males have orange beaks while female beaks are black.

4. ChcknLady

ChcknLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Western Pa
    Well that's not good! Two totally different opinions on beak color-eeek! It has no tail curl....yet! [​IMG]

5. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    [​IMG] thats what I was thinking tooo two differnet when the beaks. which is which.

6. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    My mallard/pekin started developing black feathers around his beak at about 4 weeks. It quickly developed by two months and he had the greenish black head.

7. Chickiezz

Chickiezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    I have 2 mallard ducklings and a pekin duckling so I would like to know too. One of the mallards has more black on it's beak then the other one, but still has a little bit of white too on its beak. I don't know....

8. Chickiezz

Chickiezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    males do have yellow beaks...

9. Punk-Rock_Chicken

Punk-Rock_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    High Springs, Florida
    Yes as adults they have yellow beaks Sonoran is correct on that...but it's my expierence(and I was told this by a breeder) that as ducklings, the male has a black beak. Look at the site that Sonoran posted and scroll down to the pics of multiple ducklings... you can see that there is a difference. I told you it's kinda hard when there arent others to compare it too. It's better to know how to tell the difference at the time you are picking them out from the flock...much easier then. When we bought ours, we wanted a drake but did not know how to tell them apart at that time. We ended up with a hen. However, it turns out that she is still just as beautiful as the drake. I have helped a friend pick out a couple(a drake and a hen) and we were correct. I hope this helps.

Mark

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by