Mallard duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jnetster, Jul 5, 2008.

1. jnetster

jnetster New Egg

Jul 5, 2008
    BC, Canada
    Hi All!
    Does anyone have any info on mallard ducks? We rescued one at my workplace, and I've inherited it. I think it's around a week old. I have day old chicks coming next week and would like to put "him" in with them eventually. Anything I should know in terms of feed & care? Have had a lot of chicks, but no ducklings.

2. ccrecelius

ccrecelius Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    I would like to know the same thing. My ex-huband brought my daughter 10 baby chicks and 4 baby ducklings. We lost 3 of the ducklings. And the one that is left was so lonely. I put "her" in with the chicks. I don't know if this is a good idea or not. It's been about 3 weeks and everyone seems happy! Let me know!

3. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I took an orphan duckling in and put it with my chicks. Its doing fine....but I had a duckling already to be its buddy. Feed them UN-medicated chick starter.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Baby ducks are very cute.
    They need water, but not a big enough bowl for them to swim in, just something to clean their beaks off with and to drink out of.
    They eat crumbles, or thats what i call it. Its these little brown crumbly feed that you can buy at most feed and seed stores. You can even start feeding them small minnows (if they are big enough) or even little crickets.They also like veggies. You can slice up a tomato, or give them small bits of lettuce or grass.
    Make sure they stay warm and that their home doesnt get too too messy.

Sorry I couldnt help more, if I think of anything else ill post it.

5. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Watch them during swim time. They get water-logged and tired. This sometimes leads to drowning. Basic chick care applies. They like to be in pairs. Once an adult they can become severely lonely after relizing nobody else looks like them. (I call this ugly duckling syndrome) I think everyone else has covered it. Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by